Today I went to the Citrus Label Society's final meeting at Sunkist Growers headquarters in Sherman Oaks California. Sunkist has sold the headquarters and is moving to (quite appropriately) Valencia California. In honor of this last meeting at their traditional meeting place the society had a citrus tasting and label exhibit.
Over 40 varieties ofcitrus were brought in for sampling at the meeting. Included were such exotic treats as the Australian finger lime and the Buddha's hand citron. Also on display the hundreds of citrus labels. These labels, dating from the turn of the century up until the 1930's, represented the hundreds of independent growers who shipped citrus from California to the rest of the United States. Many of them are quite beautiful and some can fetch high prices; for example a turn of the century label picturing an early, horse drawn float in the Rose Parade was valued at over $4,000.
|Rare Rose Parade Citrus Label|
|Santa Anita Citrus Label Shows Location of Arboretum and Racetrack.|
Fruit Tree Tour Links:
Fruit Tree Tour Map
- Tour Stops
- Navigable Google Map (Open in Your Smart Phone)
- Purdue Crop Index (Lots of Information on Fruit Trees etc.)
- UCR Citrus Varieties Pages
- The History Of Grafting
- More on the History of Grafting
History of Orchard Culture in California
- Edible Acorns
- Story on Canary Island Grape -the so called 'Mission Grape'
- California Wine History
- Citrus Industry in California -A History
- Los Angeles Agriculture - Agriculture and Natural Resources Blogs
- What Grape Was Grown By the Mission Padres?
- THE CITRUS LABEL GALLERY -Hundreds of Labels Collected By Members of the Citrus Label Society ﾠ
- Label Showing Santa Anita Racetrack and Sierra Madre
Fruit Growers Associations
- California Rare Fruit Growers, Inc.
- Fresh Fruit-Healthy Recipes: Sunkist Citrus Oranges, Lemons
- California Avocados Commision
- Almond Growers | Almond Board of California
- California Walnut Growers
- California Canning Peach Association
- California Raisin Marketing Board
- Western Growers
- California, Arizona, & Texas Citrus
- Citrus Research Board
- L.E. Cooke Company -Their site is a treasure trove of information)
- Dwarf Citrus Trees, Meyer Lemon, Kieffer Lime, Oranges – Order Online – Four Winds Growers (These are the growers that first developed dwarf citrus along with UCR)
- Durling Nursery Inc (No Website, but follow this link for phone # and call; they'll e-mail you their availability)
- La Verne Nursery