Saturday, November 3, 2018

Putrid Plummeting Pomegranates Puzzle Patron

I just had an email inquiry that included the following:

"I have a very sick pomegranate tree that is dropping yellow leaves all over the place and producing few fruits, all of which are rotten and eventually dropping. Also, there are black spots on many of the leaves.

I've attached a photo of the tree to show you what is going on and would be eternally grateful if you could - via this photo, if possible  - provide a diagnosis and suggest a cure.  I believe this tree is 90 years old, and I'd love to preserve it if I can."

Pomegranate tree in question.  
As you can see the tree looks fairly healthy, although the fence seem to have shaded the tree's lower half, causing any leaves that might form their to appear chlorotic. I puzzled over this photo trying to find something wrong, then I saw something and blew up the photo to find out what it was.
Obvious animal damage to fruit. 

It was animal damage, most probably rats. As you can see in the upper photo the Pomegranate bush grows along a fence that most probably is providing access to the fruits for the rats.

The solution? Mine would be not to grow fruit, however this is not what I think the person making the inquiry would want. If you have a rat problem like this the key to control is to restrict the rats access to the fruit tree or bush. In this case I would trim the thing so that the no part of the tree is closer than 1 foot from any part of the fence. Also make sure the tree is not 1 foot or closer to any utility lines, if it is, trim it, unless the utility lines are power lines, then call your utility company to trim it for you as trimming trees near power lines is extremely hazardous.

As far as the black spots go, I cannot see any in the photograph, so I will have to wait until the patron brings in some leaves.

No comments:

Followers