Thursday, December 1, 2011

The WInds

Last nights winds sounded like a jet engine parked next door and left on full power. I stayed inside my place,  but when I did look out all could see were all the trees in the neighborhood doing a crazy, insane dance; diving and bending at angles I didn't think possible for any living thing. I live a few blocks from the Arboretum so I was not looking forward to going to work.

I walked up Baldwin to the Arboretum and saw branches and uprooted trees everywhere, and then I arrived at the Arboretum.

I was heartbroken by the shear magnitude of the devastation; hundreds of trees damaged or lost. I took some pictures so you can get an idea of how much of a hit the Arboretum has taken.  Now I know that some of these trees might recover, and that these kind of winds are a normal, if not a very frequent, occurrence here (this noted by the low number of native oaks we lost); but it's still sad to think some old friends out there in the Arboretum are lost forever. Enough blog writing, time to help my coworkers clear some debris.

No comments:

Followers